Emma Verde is one of the main characters of Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club. She is a third year at Nijigasaki High School. Her image color is light green. She is a member of QU4RTZ, a unit under Nijigaku.
Emma hails from Switzerland, and like the tranquil and majestic landscapes of the Swiss Alps, possesses a heart that is just as gentle and glowing. Coming from a family with eight younger siblings, she would leave her home country to pursue becoming a school idol in Japan, eventually transferring to Nijigasaki High School. She shares a dorm with Karin Asaka, whom she develops a close friendship with.
She uses the Italian word "Buono" (meaning "good") when introducing herself, which indicates that she is from the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, which includes the canton (Swiss Confederation member state) of Ticino and some southern parts of Grisons. Her family name "Verde" means "green" in Italian.
Along with Shizuku Osaka and Kanata Konoe, Emma works with the Love Live! School idol festival app, where the three of them originally appeared as N-rarity characters. She formerly attended the Y.G. International Academy.
Emma is a kind and easygoing girl with a healing nature. She is very cheerful, pleasant, and tries to look after the other idols. She aims to be encouraging and to help others smile.
Like Shizuku, Emma tends to keep her worries to herself because she doesn't want others to worry about her. She gets nervous easily.
Having 8 siblings back home, she can relate to Kanata on the joys of being an older sister. Her family regularly sends her video letters so they can stay connected and on weekends, Emma will typically spend an hour chatting with them via webcam.
In an All Stars bond episode, she reveals that her dream to become a school idol was the reason why she studied Japanese and eventually came to Japan. She first learned about them after seeing a TV show about them in Switzerland on a night where a snowstorm meant she had to spend the night alone. Her pursuit of her dream has also allowed her to combat being homesick.
It was also revealed in All Stars that she met Mai Natsukawa, the idol that inspired her. The song Aion no Uta is originally Mai's song that she performed during her last concert as an idol.
Clubs and Hobbies
In her free time, Emma enjoys going on outdoor expeditions that include woodland walks and playing in the river, often packing a lunch with her and spending upwards of 7 hours being surrounded by nature.
She enjoys quilting as well. Emma also has a pet goat named Neve.
Emma likes food, especially bread crusts. In an All Stars story scene, she narrowly bests Hanayo Koizumi in a dumpling eating contest after both she and Hanayo ask for their favorite foods (bread and rice respectively) as side dishes, sustaining their appetite.
|Official Introduction from Website|
So I love mountains and forests. When I have free time, I might go out and take a walk in the woods or play in a river. What do I like besides that... ah, bread crust!
|Official Introduction from Love Live! School idol festival Website|
Thanks for waiting~! I don’t go to the 2nd year classrooms very often, so I ended up getting lost. Sorry~
Umm, are we starting the filming now? Ah, could we have a bit of relaxation time before starting?
Thinking “we’re going to film now!” made me feel a little nervous.
The window, the window... at a time like this, seeing green really calms me down. See, we can view the trees on campus from here, right?
I love being in places with a lot of natural beauty, like forests, mountaintops, and river beaches. Filming in a place like that definitely sounds like it’d be fun.
Oh, I’ve got it! Next time we film, all of us could go to the mountains!
And once we’re done filming, we could butter up some bread, make sandwiches with fillings like ham and vegetables, and eat them. That’d be so buono~ [TL note: “buono” is my guess as to what “ボ～ノ” (bōno) was supposed to say. Emma is from Switzerland, which has four official languages, three of which have similar words meaning “good”: buono (Italian), bon (French), and bun (Romansh).]
I’m so excited that I’m going to prepare everyone’s portion—. Look forward to it~. Wait, then it’d be more like a picnic than a filming session, right? Ahaha~
Wouldn’t that be great~. I’d like to have a leisurely chat with you, somewhere surrounded by nature.
It’d be great if we could be more like siblings, doing things like that. Hm? I didn’t tell you? I have 8 siblings~
Our house is always lively, so every day is fun~. Seeing my younger brothers and sisters when we sing and play together makes me smile. It feels like such a blessing~
Those kids were actually why I decided to take on the challenge of being a school idol.
I thought that if I work my hardest at being a school idol, I’d be able to see their joyful faces even more. Do you think that’s weird?
Yup. Working hard because you want to see someone’s smile... that really is a wonderful thing. Thank you for saying that—. All right, I’m gonna try my best!
|Question & Answer Corner|
What has been good about becoming a school idol?
Seeing so many smiles, perhaps.
So I’ll try my best from now on, to be able to see many more smiles~♪
This is kind of similar to my last answer, but maybe always having a smile on your face?
When someone’s thinking “I’m not really feeling energetic today” or “I’m feeling kind of down”, I feel like it’d be great if I could share even a bit of my energy using my smile.
Just looking at Kanata-chan, I thought “Ahh, she seems easy to get along with~”.
Shizuku-chan is a girl with a lot of perseverance.
Things like sunbathing or taking a stroll through the woods, I guess.
Watching travel shows on TV.
I love hot springs, and there are so many of them in Japan, so I’ve been dreaming about doing a hot spring tour one day. But for now, I can’t go yet, so I vicariously enjoy them by seeing them on TV.
Bathing in hot springs feels really good, right~♪
For me, it’d be heading to the supermarket after school.
That’s a hard question, but maybe being blessed with having met so many people.
My fellow school idols, the people supporting us, and the person who invited me: everyone has been so nice that I must be really lucky to have been able to meet them.
I want to appear on TV as a school idol someday.
Fufu, now that I look back, I was actually quite a tomboy as a kid.
I want to show everyone the scenery of the Alps, too~.
There were a lot of things like that, but the crowded trains really surprised me.
When people were squeezed together in the train, I worried a lot about whether everyone was fine.
I’m Emma! Thank you so much for supporting me all this time!
The songs featuring Emma are:
- TOKIMEKI Runners
- Love U my friends
- Mirai Harmony
- Just Believe!!!
- Nijiiro Passions!
- Sweet Eyes
- NEO SKY, NEO MAP!
- Zensoku Dreamer
- Yume ga Koko Kara Hajimaru yo
- Hurray Hurray
- L! L! L! (Love the Life We Live)
|01||"The First Thrill"
(はじまりのトキメキ "Hajimari no Tokimeki")
|03||"Shout Out Your Love"
(大好きを叫ぶ "Daisuki o Sakebu")
|04||"The Uncharted Path"
(未知なるミチ "Michi Naru Michi")
|05||"Something I Can Only Do Right Now"
(今しかできないことを "Ima Shika Dekinai Koto o")
|06||"The Shape of Smiles (〃＞▽＜〃)"
(笑顔のカタチ(〃＞▽＜〃) "Egao no Katachi (〃＞▽＜〃)")
|07||"Haruka, Kanata, and Beyond"
(ハルカカナタ "Haruka Kanata")
(しずく、モノクローム "Shizuku, Monokurōmu")
|09||"Friends but Rivals"
(仲間でライバル "Nakama de Raibaru")
(夏、はじまる。 "Natsu, Hajimaru.")
|11||"Everyone's Dream, My Dream"
(みんなの夢、私の夢 "Minna no Yume, Watashi no Yume")
(花ひらく思い "Hanahiraku Omoi")
|13||"School Idol Festival (The Place Where Everyone's Dreams Come True)"
(スクールアイドルフェスティバル （みんなの夢を叶える場所） "Sukuuru Aidoru Festibaru (Minna no Yume o Kaeru Basho)")
|09||"An Hour to Make You Feel at Ease"|
- Emma fulfills the pure attribute of the NijiGaku third years, sharing both an attribute and year with Mia Taylor. Both girls are also foreigners, and occasionally say words from their first language (eg. Emma says "Buono!" while Mia has a habit of saying profanities in English).
- She is the first Love Live! heroine who is fully a foreigner (compared to Eli Ayase, who is a quarter Russian, and Mari Ohara, who is half American with Italian ancestry). She is also the first whose foreign roots are primarily in Western Europe.
- She has the most number of siblings ever, with a total of 8. (One brother is shown in the School Idol Festival app 4komas, and 6 sisters in the Koe Tsunagou yo live performance in the First Live with You! concert).
- She has a pet goat back in Switzerland named "Neve" (the Italian word for "snow").
- She has the largest bust size (Second largest if you count Chiduko Sakamaki's B95 from School Idol Festival.) of any Love Live! heroine – her 92 centimeters beating Nozomi Tojo's previous record of 90.
- Emma was originally introduced to Love Live! School Idol Festival mobile game exclusively as an N rarity character in 2013.
- Prior to any announced plans of a new Love Live! project, Bushiroad held multiple seemingly inconsequential popularity polls on the LLSIF app in which participants could vote for their favorite N rarity character. By the end of the campaign, Emma Verde finished in first place, Shizuku Osaka finished in second place, and Kanata Konoe finished in third place.
- Later in 2017, when the Perfect Dream Project (temporary name of Love Live! School Idol Festival ALL STARS) was announced, Bushiroad revealed that the three N rarity characters with the most votes from the previous polls would be fleshed out and added as new school idols for the project.  This included new artwork and designs that were more consistent with the style and quality typical for the main cast members in µ's and Aqours, as well as the promise of casting official voice actors.
- In the anime, it is revealed that Emma arrived from Switzerland before enrolling to Nijigasaki rather than transferring from Y.G. International Academy.
- In comparison to her appearance in both School Idol Festival and ALL-STARS, Emma's bust size is realistically depicted in the Anime.
- The Emma-themed bromide for the Animate Fair exclusive "Nijigasaki Original Bromides" features her original large bust size.
- Please refer to this character's Image Gallery.