Rina Tennoji is one of the main characters of Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club. She is a first-year at Nijigasaki High School. Her image color is white. She is a member of QU4RTZ, a unit under the Nijigasaki High School Idol Club.
Rina is not good at conveying emotions on her face. Because of this, she makes use of the "Rina-chan Board", a sketchbook that she draws her emotions on. Rina is also friends with Mia, who met her in Chapter 22 of ALL STARS.
Despite her flaws, Rina is still trying to change herself by communicating and talking more with others. She admires Ai for her confidence and friendliness. Rina gets nervous easily but continues to try her best.
As a school idol, she hopes that people will cheer for her so she can show everyone her true smile.
Clubs and Hobbies
Rina is really good with technology and "creating things". She wears the "Auto Emotion Convert Rina-chan Board" on stage and other activities that require both hands. She's often seen with gadgets such as a quadcopter or just working on a tablet or laptop. She makes and enjoys talking about apps. She has a pet robot cat named Aran (アラン).
She often shows a strong interest in science. She excels in Sciences and Math but struggles with her Japanese class.
Rina is good with arcade and video games. She also seems to have a deep fondness for animals.
|Official Introduction from Website|
A very cute girl. Really!
|Official Introduction from Famitsu App Website|
Sorry, did I keep you waiting?
Am I ready for the video? Yup, I’m ready to start whenever.
Though, I’m a little curious. About you inviting me to be a school idol. Why did you ask me?
Huh? Was it troublesome? No, nothing like that. If anything, I’m glad.
See? Rina-chan Board: “Smiling ♪”.
I’m so happy that I’m actually super fired up.
Really, I wish I could convey my feelings with my own face, but I’m bad at it, so no matter what, I end up expressionless.
Because of that, I was wondering why you would ask someone like me to be a school idol.
What? You had a gut feeling that I like school idols? That’s why?
A gut feeling... I don’t really get it.
Don’t apologize. It’s not like I feel bad about it. Actually, I think it’s funny.
To put it another way, you have high hopes for me, right? I’m really happy to hear that. No one has ever said anything like that to me.
Now I have a little more self-confidence. Rina-chan Board: “Ahem ♪” Fufu, that’s kind of how I’m feeling right now.
By drawing my face on a board like this, I want to convey my feelings to everyone, and do my best as a school idol.
If I can get along with everyone like this, I’ll be very happy. Because I want to make a lot of friends.
First, I’ll work hard on this introduction video, so you better ready yourself. Rina-chan Board: “Mun!” [TL note: “Mun!” is just a sound effect. If you’re not familiar with Japanese pronunciation, it sounds like “moon”. Probably a grunt of determination.]
|Question & Answer Corner|
Being frank, how has it been, working with Famitsu App?
Have you gotten used to helping out at Famitsu App?
I think I’m getting used to it, a bit at a time. But since there are a lot of people around, it’s still tough. Because I haven’t really conversed together with this many people before.
But it’s really fun talking to such a variety of people. This much fun: Rina-chan Board: “Whee ♪”
What are your thoughts on working with us?
It’s very fun. It’s great to be able to do different things from what I do at home or at school.
They mostly have tasks that I haven’t done before, so there might not be that much I can work on, but I’m still very glad that they’ve let me work on a variety of things.
Perhaps the staff at Famitsu App are angels?
What motivated you to work with Famitsu App?
Ayumu-san and Ai-san invited me. “Let’s do this together”, they said. Hardly anyone ever asks me to do anything together like that. So I accepted their offer instantly.
I wanted to make an commemorative recording of it, and when I asked them to say it again, they were kind of surprised. That’s a good memory, too. Rina-chan Board: “V ♪” [TL: as in the peace sign]
When you’re working at Famitsu App, what do you talk about with Ayumu-chan and Ai-chan?
With Ayumu-san, we talk about being a school idol a lot. Often, we talk about trying our best together.
Also, there’s Ayumu-san’s childhood friend??, who was the one that invited me to be a school idol. Perhaps I’ve listened to her talk about them a lot as well.
When she talks about them, Ayumu-san seems really happy, and I like that person as well, so I smile when I listen to her.
Ai-san teaches me about a lot of things. She knows a lot, whether it’s about academics or about having fun.
And she gives me things like candy and tsukemono [TL: pickled vegetables], so I love her.
But listening to her belting out rapid-fire puns is honestly kind of a tough situation.
How do people react to your board?
As expected, everyone seemed surprised at first. But they adjusted surprisingly quickly. Humans’ ability to adapt is incredible.
After they got used to it, we’ve had a lot of fun. I’m happy to be able to converse with this.
Truly, the Rina-chan Board is a impressive invention. Rina-chan Board: “Ehe ♪”
Would it be possible to take the board off and show your face...?
I can’t. It’s embarrassing, and a little scary. Because I can’t express my true feelings with my own face...
You see, I always end up looking displeased or bored. I get anxious about disappointing people because of an expression like that.
So, please wait a little longer. Because someday, once I’ve worked hard enough, I’ll be able to smile with my own face.
What do school idols mean to Rina-chan?
Why did you start being a school idol?
It really is strange how I’m a school idol, right?
Yup, I think it’s really strange too. After all, you’d think that I’m the furthest thing from a school idol.
But there was someone who asked me. It made me really happy, and I decided to try my best. That’s why I became a school idol.
Being honest, what are your appeal points as a school idol?
I think the Rina-chan Board is my unique feature. It’s a little different from an appeal point, though. But if someone remembers me because of that, that’d make me happy.
And if I could do things like live shows with everyone, it’d be really fun. Rina-chan Board: “Excited—♪”
What kind of school idol do you want to become?
Um, it might sound weird coming from me, but I want to try to be a school idol that can make everyone smile. I’m not good at expressing my feelings on my own face, so to compensate, I’d like to make everyone smile a lot.
And, if I could see that many smiles, maybe I could naturally smile as well. One day, I want to be able to smile with everyone, using my real face. That’s my dream.
From now on, what activities do you want to do as a school idol?
There is one thing I want to try a bit. Just thinking about it makes me nervous, but I want to try having a handshake meeting. I want to try talking directly to the people cheering me on.
Oh, wait, what I do about the Rina-chan Board when I’m shaking someone’s hand?
Muuun, I’ll have to improve the Rina-chan Board to prepare for that.
|Monthly Rankings (July 2017)|
I placed 1st? I didn’t expect this development.
|Monthly Rankings (August 2017)|
I didn’t expect at all that I’d be in the top three again.
|Monthly Rankings (October 2017)|
The songs featuring Rina are:
- TOKIMEKI Runners
- Love U my friends
- Mirai Harmony
- Just Believe!!!
- Nijiiro Passions!
- Sweet Eyes
- NEO SKY, NEO MAP!
- Zensoku Dreamer
- Yume ga Koko Kara Hajimaru yo
- Rina fulfills the smile attribute of the NijiGaku first years.
- Rina has different nicknames from different members of Nijigaku: Kasumi calls her Rinako (to match Shizuku's nickname Shizuko and Shioriko's nickname Shioko) and Ai calls her Rinari. In Love Live! School Idol Festival ALL STARS, Nozomi calls her Rina-chi.
- In Love Live! School Idol Festival ALL STARS, Ai credits herself with assisting Rina in coming up with the Rina-chan board, and helps her with the drawings.
- She is the shortest of all of the Love Live main characters at 149 cm (or 4'11").
- Her song titles are all written in hiragana and katakana. This is likely due to the fact that she isn't very good with kanji.
- The 18th chapter of Love Live! School Idol Festival ALL STARS' story chapter implies that her electronic board is waterproof, as she is able to swim with it.
Media-Specific (Manga, Anime, School Idol-Diary)
- The 18th chapter of the Famitsu App 4koma shows Rina being capable of crying, though this only applied to that continuity.
- Her robot pet cat, Aran, was first mentioned in the radio dramas then made its way into Miyako Hito's "Nijiyon" 4komas. The design was then adapted into an illustration in Dengeki G's magazine, made a brief appearance in Rina's Tsunagaru Connect insert song MV, and finally adapted into one of the illustrations for School Idol Festival ALL-STARS.
- The Mirai Harmony PV shows that her board can instantly change her drawn expressions without flipping them, likely just for subtle/background laughs.
- In the Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Anime, Rina doesn't possess the "Rina-chan board" until episode 6, The Shape of Smiles (〃＞▽＜〃).
- Needless to say, after said episode, She tends to pull up her board at will (whenever expressing something extreme or something primary like tasting a good pancake) as she seems fine to talk without it.
- In Shizuku, Monochrome she even had a drawn expression of Shizuku's face during an "orchestrated" capture with Kasumi, giving a call back to the Love Live! School Idol Festival ALL STARS main story line, where she did the same for Emma and Karin.
- Please refer to this character's Image Gallery.