Setsuna Yuki, whose real name is Nana Nakagawa (中川菜々 Nakagawa Nana), is a main character in Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club. She is a second year student of Nijigasaki High School. She is a member of A・ZU・NA, a unit under the reformed Nijigaku, and was the leader and co-founder of the original group. Her image color is scarlet red.
When Setsuna saw school idols for the first time, it felt like "fate" was calling out to her; the very reason for becoming a school idol herself. Seemingly always busy with school idol activities, Setsuna had become somewhat of an urban legend among the students at Nijigasaki, with many claiming they had never even seen her at school. Setsuna would always wear her idol outfit whenever she is with the Nijigasaki High School Idol Club.
But the girl that everyone knew as "Setsuna Yuki" had actually adopted that name herself, so that her parents would not figure out she was an idol. Setsuna comes from a strict household, where things like anime, manga, and school idols are banned. One reason why she became an urban legend is linked to the fact that she attends the same school as Nana Nakagawa, who has a different appearance than Setsuna.
Setsuna has an energetic smile and a distinctive style of performing. She's very friendly, charismatic and naturally people-oriented. She is easily excitable and full of energy, and she can be moved emotionally very easily. She lights up whenever she is asked a question about her interests, which include anime, manga, video games, and school idols. While she is a very passionate geek and loves to talk about her otaku hobbies with her friends, due to her status as a serious and hard-working student council president, she feels she has to hide them from her mom. When the latter learns about Setsuna, she is happy with it and cheerfully goes to the concert.
She takes her passions very seriously, and with regards to being a school idol, always wants to improve. She wants to share her love of school idols with the world, and help others feel more comfortable saying what they love, but she can be too passionate about idol activities, the reason that drove the members of the original School Idol Club apart and forcing her to disband the club afterwards.
As Nana, she also strives to do well in school, so she always does homework as soon as possible and studies on her off days.
Setsuna is also very kind and helpful, and is shown to be very supportive of her friends. For example, in the Dengeki 4-koma, she continued to eat Kasumi's spicy bread in order to not let her down since she cooked it for her and Karin. She tries to encourage everyone to pursue their dreams and is open to helping others with their dancing and singing.
Clubs and Hobbies
Despite not being good at it, she likes cooking, but when she asks how it tastes, she never gets an answer. Some of her friends say that her cooking's taste is "a bit too original".
She likes everything involving school idols and is very knowledgeable about them. She likes every subject in school except health class.
Setsuna is very interested in anime, manga, and video games. She can get very excited and talk at length about anime concepts and her favorite series. During weekends, Setsuna might consume about five hours of anime throughout the day and spend about three hours playing video games.
Setsuna is rather short with a slim figure. She has long bluish dark gray hair that she partly ties into a ponytail on the right side with a rose-shaped ornament and light grey eyes.
As Nana Nakagawa, she wears glasses and ties her hair into two low pigtail braids instead.
|Official Introduction from Website|
To be honest with you, I have a big dream!
|Official Introduction from Dengeki Online Website|
Ah, you were filming here, right? Is it all right if I come in?
I’m Setsuna Yuki—oh, sorry, did I accidentally surprise you? Umm, you’ve heard of me, right?
Ahaha, that’s good. If you’d said that you hadn’t, well, I’d just seem like your typical overly self-conscious girl.
Today, I have a request for you, which is why I’ve come to talk to you.
Um, here’s my request! Please include me in your school idol activities!
I’ve actually been checking on you from the beginning, which is why I have confidence in you—enough to say that you’re a partner I absolutely need in order to fulfill my dream!
You really love school idols, and you’ve been diligently working towards spreading the splendor of school idols around the world. Well, my own goal is the same as yours!
Because of... certain circumstances, I’ve been doing this alone up until now. This whole time, though, I’ve been thinking that I can only accomplish so much by myself.
Therefore, please lend me your strength and your love for school idols!
“OK”? Thank you so much! Ahah, asking you so boldly was a good idea!
All right, let’s start filming the introduction movie! What kind of feeling do you think would be good?
Hm? It’s fine if I just talk like I already do, with my effusive love for school idols? OK, sounds good! I think so too!
Well then, I’m ready whenever you are. I’ll convey these feelings to everyone as directly as I can!
|Question & Answer Corner|
What made you decide to come to Dengeki Online?
I haven’t mentioned it before, but I love anime and video games! I especially love light novels, so I’ve been looking up to Dengeki for a while now...!
To be honest, a long time ago, I applied to Dengeki’s novel competition. It really didn’t go well, though. Ahaha.
I haven’t had the chance to talk about liking things like this, so I’m happy. What I read often… eh, I can’t talk about that? Uuu, that’s too bad. I want to share what I like with everyone, you know—.
Please describe your appeal point(s).
My love for school idols!
At least in that regard, I absolutely don’t want to lose to anyone, and I don’t think I will! I’ve felt this way for a long, long time, and I want to keep giving my all with this never-changing love.
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
My specialty is anything to do with being a school idol! ...or rather, I’m trying my best so that one day I’ll have the self-confidence to say that.
As for what I’m bad at, umm, as a girl, it’s hard to say this, but it seems to be cooking...
I like making food, but they say that my food arrangement is a little too original... Oh, the taste? Umm, when I ask for thoughts on how it tastes, everyone averts their eyes and they don’t really answer me...
What impressions do you have of Kasumi-chan and Karin-chan?
Kasumi-san has a very unique personality, so she’s the type to get misunderstood. But I can really feel her passion and love for school idols! Even though Kasumi-san tends to be somewhat selfish, I sympathize with her, and I love her a lot!
Karin-san is very voluptuous, right? She has that mature feel about her, and it surprised me when we first met. I don’t have that kind of sexiness, and she has an incredible sense for fashion, so there’s a lot I can learn from her. She is a strong rival... but she’s so charming that I might end up being a fan!
How do you spend your days off?
The first thing I do is study. Since we’re school idols, I think we absolutely have to try our best at school.
I want to have as much fun as I can in doing what I like, so that encourages me to properly carry out the things that I have to do. When I think that my school idol activities are waiting for me afterwards, I end up being able to try my best at anything!
Please tell us which subjects you like and dislike.
There isn’t really any subject in particular that I like. No matter which subject it is, I find it fun to learn things I don’t know, and since I treat it as a game where I have to find the answers, I enjoy studying as well!
Subjects I don’t like, umm... I wouldn’t really say I dislike it, but sometimes, well... health class can be a little embarrassing... P-please don’t ask me why!
Why did you decide to become a school idol?
I’ve been asked this before, and it’s actually a fairly difficult question to answer. To me, I guess, school idols represent a world I dream of, or maybe a place where my ideals are realized... ugh, I can’t really find the right words, but in any case, school idols are very special to me.
So, um, when I first saw school idols, and the people cheering them on, I felt like fate was calling!
What animal would you compare yourself to?
A dog, maybe?
When I’m having fun, I get excited really quickly and end up losing my composure, so I might be like a dog in that way.
Ah, umm, what was it... you could say that that’s when things get “lit”, right? Ai-san taught me that. I’m pretty good at getting along with people, so that’s something else I share with dogs, I think.
What genre of music do you like?
Of course, I like anime songs the most!
In those songs’ lyrics, when they mention the characters’ names, and link the song to the story and setting... ahh, you can really feel how much love the people who wrote these have for the original works, and it makes me super happy!
Compared to the others, your outfit is always properly put on. Why is that?
This outfit is kind of a manifestation of my feelings, so when I wear it, it’s like they’re holding tight to me.
You could say that it’s a uniform that flips a switch in my consciousness, so that I can put all my strength into my work as a school idol... something like that.
There’s this rumor floating around that “no one has seen Setsuna at school”; do you have any comment on this?
Huh? T-that kind of rumor exists? Ahh, well, there’s only one thing I can say: Setsuna Yuki is a school idol!
Therefore, you’ll definitely be able to see me if you come to our live shows and events. I’m looking forward to being able to meet everyone as well!
Please tell us how excited you are for your upcoming activities.
As long as I’m doing this, I’m aiming to be number one! But, my highest ambition is to open up the world of school idols more and more, so it’s not just for myself, but because I want to support other school idols too.
If everyone has a great time together, I wonder if that’s really what it means to be the best. By the way, am I allowed to do things like vote in the polls? No way I’d vote for myself! Aw, I can’t do that, huh... I want to cheer on everyone else too!
|Monthly Rankings (July 2017)|
I’m happy to have this many people cheering me on!
|Monthly Rankings (August 2017)|
I rose to first place!
|Monthly Rankings (October 2017)|
|Monthly Rankings (November 2017)|
The songs featuring Setsuna are:
Nijigasaki High School Idol Club (Group)
- TOKIMEKI Runners
- Love U my friends
- Mirai Harmony
- Just Believe!!!
- Nijiiro Passions!
- Sweet Eyes
- NEO SKY, NEO MAP!
- Zensoku Dreamer
- Yume ga Koko Kara Hajimaru yo
- Hurray Hurray
- L! L! L! (Love the Life We Live)
- Miracle STAY TUNE!
- Yume ga Bokura no Taiyou sa
- Ryouran! Victory Road
- Colorful Dreams! Colorful Smiles!
- Future Parade
- Level Oops! Adventures
- Eien no Isshun
- Dream Land! Dream World!
- Cheer for you!!
- Happy Nyan! Days
- Maze Town
- Folklore ~Kanki no Uta~
- Infinity! Our wings!!
- Poker face & Onegai! Fairy
- Romance no Naka de
|01||"The First Thrill"
(はじまりのトキメキ "Hajimari no Tokimeki")
|October 3, 2020|
|October 10, 2020|
|03||"Shout Out Your Love"
(大好きを叫ぶ "Daisuki o Sakebu")
|October 17, 2020|
|04||"The Uncharted Path"
(未知なるミチ "Michi Naru Michi")
|October 24, 2020|
|05||"Something I Can Only Do Right Now"
(今しかできないことを "Ima Shika Dekinai Koto o")
|October 31, 2020|
|06||"The Shape of Smiles (〃＞▽＜〃)"
(笑顔のカタチ(〃＞▽＜〃) "Egao no Katachi (〃＞▽＜〃)")
|November 7, 2020|
|07||"Haruka, Kanata, and Beyond"
(ハルカカナタ "Haruka Kanata")
|November 14, 2020|
(しずく、モノクローム "Shizuku, Monokurōmu")
|November 21, 2020|
|09||"Friends but Rivals"
(仲間でライバル "Nakama de Raibaru")
|November 28, 2020|
(夏、はじまる。 "Natsu, Hajimaru.")
|December 5, 2020|
|11||"Everyone's Dream, My Dream"
(みんなの夢、私の夢 "Minna no Yume, Watashi no Yume")
|December 12, 2020|
(花ひらく思い "Hanahiraku Omoi")
|December 19, 2020|
|13||"School Idol Festival (The Place Where Everyone's Dreams Come True)"
(スクールアイドルフェスティバル（みんなの夢を叶える場所） "Sukūru Aidoru Fesutibaru (Minna no Yume o Kanaeru Basho)")
|December 26, 2020|
|03||"Shouting Her Passion at the Top of Her Voice"|
- The name Setsuna is written in kanji/hiragana (せつ菜), which has no special meaning except the kanji "菜" means "vegetables, greens". However, when part of the name Setsu is written in kanji (節, 世津, 瀬津, 勢都, 拙, 摂節, 攝 or 晢), it could possibly mean:
- 節 - "section, period, verse, melody".
- 世津 - "world" (世) (se) and "haven, port, harbor, ferry" (津) (tsu).
- 瀬津 - "swift current, rapids" (瀬) (se) and "haven, port, harbor, ferry" (津) (tsu).
- 勢都 - "force, momentum, energy, impetus, military strength, spring, bound/rebound, inertia, stimulus, impulse, instant, chance" (勢) (se) and "metropolis, capital" (都) (tsu).
- 拙 - "bungling, clumsy, unskillful".
- 摂節 - "vicarious, surrogate, act in addition to" (摂) (se) and "section, period, verse, melody" (節) (tsu).
- 攝 - "surrogate, act in addition to".
- 晢 - "light of stars, shine".
- Setsuna's surname Yuki means "excellence, superiority, gentleness" (優) (yu) and "tree, wood" (木) (ki).
- The name Nana means "vegetables, greens" (菜).
- Nana can mean "seven" in Japanese, which happens to be Setsuna's cast order number.
- Nana's surname Nakagawa means "middle" (中) (naka) and "river, stream" (川) (kawa/gawa).
- Setsuna fulfills the cool attribute of the Nijigaku second years.
- Setsuna has revealed that the name "Setsuna Yuki" comes from the names of the main characters from her favorite light novel, with "Setsuna" being the name of the girl and "Yuki" being the name of the boy featured in the work.
- Ai Miyashita calls Setsuna as "Setsu", while Mari Ohara calls her "Secchan".
- Setsuna is occasionally featured in the Love Live! Days column, No Game, No Life!!, where she offers her thoughts on video games such as Call of Duty: Warzone on PlayStation 4, and Octopath Traveler on Nintendo Switch. She has also played Street Fighter V: Champion Edition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.
- In the anime, Setsuna is seen as gloveless in every visual she's in.
- Despite appearing in several promotional visual media and the anime's opening, Setsuna's classic idol suit doesn't appear in any episode.
- In the Rainbow Days Honest Photo Essay short story series, Nana wears contacts whenever she acts as Setsuna, which means she really does need them for her eyesight.
- Setsuna is the first initial Student Council President to break the traditional third year status. However, in episode 6 of the anime's second season, she revealed her identity as the student council president. Though, she still retained her status as confirmed in the next episode. However, in Season 2 Episode 11, it was confirmed that Shioriko will become the next student council president after Setsuna steps down. Near the end of episode 13, Shioriko is shown to be the new student council president after Setsuna stepped down.
- Setsuna knows and remembers all and every student's name at Nijigaku.
- Setsuna's birthday is a day after Natsumi Onitsuka's.
- Please refer to this character's Image Gallery.